Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Welfare

I was reading my civ pro and heard two people arguing about welfare. I was trying to get my stuff read so that I could actually see Margo, so I didn’t take part in the debate. I did listen to their arguments, however. Basically, they both repeated talking points, one from the right and one from the left. Right-leaner argued that welfare is just rewarding people for being lazy and they should be left to sink or swim on their own. Left-winger felt that everyone in the world was oppressed and that right-winger wanted to take money from poor people to give to rich people.

I haven’t put any serious thought into it, but there is definitely middle ground. Welfare of some sort is necessary unless you are of the opinion that we should let poor people and their children starve. It is also true though that our current system is deeply flawed and creates a culture of dependency. This isn’t a racial issue, as some like to say, though. I have a good number of family members who are or have been on welfare, food stamps, or some other form of government assistance. Some of these family members almost never work even though they could and live off of the government just like their own parents did. It may be a right-wing talking point, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

MORE

1 Comments:

Blogger John Harvey said...

I agree. There is the concept of workfare. People who are able to work, should. Those who cannot work, for whatever reason, should be helped. We have an oblication to help those who cannot help themselves.

But, for those who play the system, I believe we should cut them off after a certain period of time. I believe that is what is happening now, but I've still seen some horror stories. My wife has a friend who was getting tenncare and got cut off. she was in a bad way, but they cut off her meds anyway. There is more work to be done because the system still has people dropping through the cracks.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 7:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home