Sunday, August 06, 2006

A truce, of sorts..

I have just spent an enjoyable evening with several of my blogger brethren, and we have spent much time talking about the fall races.

It has led me to a conclusion: I have to respect the wishes of the Democratic electorate with regard to the United States Senate race.

Against my advice, they have selected Harold Ford Jr. (not, mind you, that they were given real choices) to be our nominee. I am not about to pull a Joe Lieberman and go off the reservation.

So, while I am not going to endorse him, neither will I oppose him at this time; I am declaring a moratorium on Junior attacks. If I expect people to vote for Steve Cohen for Congress and Mike Kernell for re-election to the state House, I have to accept that they are going to vote for Phil Bredesen and Harold Ford Jr as well.

This comes in light of some serious soul-searching about whether to just say, WTF, I'm going for Chris Lugo, the Green party candidate, or lay low on the subject.

I recently read that the Pennsylvania Green party sought and received almost 100% funding from the PA Republican Party, in order to derail Bob Casey's candidacy to defeat Rick "Man on Dog" Santorum. As you can imagine, though it's no fault of Chris Lugo's, that soured me on the Greens.

I will decide later what to do about the Senate, but I will not make it public. This is a time for Democratic unity, and I've been at this too long to throw a monkey-wrench into the works now.

If I have to take Junior in order to get Steve Cohen, then that is what I have to accept, whether I necessarily like it or not.

Mazel tov, Harold, go in peace. Just remember, if you win and you screw up, I'll be on your ass like a rabid badger every day of your Senate career. - LeftWingCracker

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

My comments are here"

Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:16:00 AM  
Blogger Jim Maynard said...

What does Haraold Ford Jr. have to do with Steve Cohen? I don't see why if we support Cohen we have to support Ford Jr. I don't buy it!

And this is NOT a Steve Cohen blog, is it? Furthermore, is this blog only for "Democrats" because I may not be one much longer..

I'm not sacrificing MY principles for THE PARTY.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger LeftWingCracker said...

You will remember, of course, that I wrote you in for Senate for a reason; to implore other Democrats NOT to support Junior.

They didn't listen.

I am NOT endorsing Junior, but I'm not going after him either because I have decided not to do Bob Corker's work for him.

However, I am NOT going to do anything that could injure Steve Cohen simply because I'm not enamored of Harold, and that COULD happen, whether you realize it or not.

That is my choice, and I am not asking anyone else to go there with me, unless it's THEIR choice to do so.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I don't understand the connection, either. I hope Cohen stays the hell away from Harold.

If the issue is loyalty to party and all who fly the party banner, well we heard the same crock from Lieberman and others about Iraq. It may be wartime, but we don't have to shut up and kiss our principles goodbye.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 3:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home