Friday, August 25, 2006

Counterpoint: The Larsha Incident

Early, Freedonian posted a passionate defense of what he calls The Larsha Incident. Check it out to see what he's talking about, as I won't repeat it here. I wanted to simply post a comment, but apparently comments are down, so I'm posting my response here instead.

I disagree. The Larsha Incident stinks to me of the corruption of power. Power corrupts even the best. This resolution wasn't a spur of the moment thing. It's a backlash against Cohen's win. It's a backlash against the way he won - by allowing his opponents to split the black vote. Which is itself a loaded accusation, since it assumes that no black people voted for Cohen. They did. There were Cohen signs in my neighborhood, in the yards of black families.

We're not cutting Democratic Party elder Joe Leiberman any slack for circumventing the will of Democratic party voters. Why should Larsha be any different? Because of his long and noble history in the fight for civil rights? As my mother would say, he should have thought about that before he pulled this stunt.

He should have considered his reputation before he decided to throw it away. So if he didn't, why should we?

1 Comments:

Blogger Freedonian said...

I disagree. The Larsha Incident stinks to me of the corruption of power. Power corrupts even the best.

I'm not sure I would call a seat on Ex Comm "power". Particularly since the only faction of the SCDP that could gain much from this is dead. It's not like the Ford faction can build a coalition around Ophelia.

The resolution is doomed. Even if it wasn't officially out of order under the bylaws of the party, the Chism faction is against anything that could give any traction to the Fords. Hell, they would burn the building down if there was a reasonable chance they could blame the Fords for it.

The only question left is what to do about an old man.

He should have considered his reputation before he decided to throw it away. So if he didn't, why should we?

Is there nothing to be said for being magnanimous in victory? The hallmark of great leadership is found in its treatment of the defeated.

Saturday, August 26, 2006 12:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home